Though there is still some debate, most people believe that the chakra system originated in India (1,500 - 500 BC). The word chakra was originally found in ancient Indian texts: the Vedas, the Upanishads and later in the Yoga Sutras. Chakra systems are currently used in many different cultures and religions in a variety of ways and the mostly established system incorporates 7 main chakras.
Chakras are energy centers in the body. The most widely accepted chakra system describes 7 chakras that align with the spine from the tailbone to the crown of the head. The word chakra means "wheel" in sanskrit and the chakras are often depicted as spinning wheels, which can be underactive (spinning too slowly), overactive (spinning too fast), or in balance.
Each chakra is associated with a specific location in the body, the major organs in that area, and have a main purpose or theme.
Here's a brief description of all 7 chakras:
1 The ROOT, muladhara is at the base of the spine and represents our basic needs: a sense of safety and security. If it's under or overactive that may manifest as fear, insecurity, and anxiety. This chakra also encompasses our legs and feet and a good pose for balancing this chakra is mountain pose, which you can do anywhere!
“All my needs are met.”
“I am grounded in the here and now.”
“I am safe and secure.”
2. the SACRAL CHAKRA, svadhisthana is located below the navel and represents our emotions, creativity and desires. If it’s overactive it may manifest as being overly emotional, attracted to drama, or quick to attach to and invest in others. If it’s underactive it may manifest as being unemotional and closed off to others.
AFFIRMATIONS to balance the Sacral Plexus chakra every time you touch your pendant:
"I live in joy."
"Creativity flows through me, like water."
"I give myself permission to enjoy pleasure."
“I am comfortable with my sexuality.”
“I give myself permission to enjoy pleasure.”
3. The SOLAR PLEXUS, manipura is located above the navel and represents our power, will and self-esteem. If it’s overactive it may manifest as being aggressive, angry, perfectionistic or overly critical of others. If it’s underactive it may manifest as being passive, lacking motivation, timid or lacking control.
AFFIRMATIONS to balance the Solar Plexus chakra every time you touch your pendant:
“I am confident in all that I do”
“The fire within me burns steadily to motivate me to achieve my goals”
“I am capable”
"I am strong"
"My actions are courageous"
"I respect myself and others"
4. The HEART, anahata is in the center of the chest and represents love, compassion, self-love, and our relationships with others. If it’s overactive it may manifest as being needy, clingy, or suffocating in relationships. You may lack boundaries in relationships and ‘let everyone in’. If it’s underactive it may look like being cold, distant, and unable to open up to others.
AFFIRMATIONS to use with the Heart Chakra every time you use your pendant:
“I am kind to myself.”
“I allow love to guide my actions.”
“I am able to let go of the past and to forgive myself and others.”
“I am loved. I am loving.”
“My compassion supersedes my anger and resentments for others.”
5. The THROAT, vishuddha is in the center of the throat and represents personal expression, creativity and speech. If it’s overactive it may manifest as being too talkative, overly critical, judgemental, or verbally abusive. If it’s underactive it may manifest as being shy and introverted or having trouble speaking up for yourself and your needs, or speaking your truth.
AFFIRMATIONS to use with the Throat chakra every time you touch your pendant:
“I speak up for myself.”
“I express myself with clarity and confidence.”
“I speak my truth openly.”
“I express my gratitude for life.”
6. The BROW or THIRD EYE, Ajna is located in the center of the brow just above the eyebrows and represents our intuition, focus and understanding. If it’s overactive it may manifest as being unfocused, lacking good judgement, or being out of touch with reality. if it’s underactive it may manifest as disconnected or distrustful of your inner voice, or being rigid in your thinking and closed off to new ideas.
AFFIRMATIONS to use with the Brow chakra every time you touch your pendant:
“I am connected to the divine source of the Universe.”
“I honor and follow my intuition.”
”It is safe for me to see the truth.”
“I see my path clearly.”
7. The CROWN, sahasrara is located on the center of the top of the head and represents connection with divinity, enlightenment and transcendence. If it’s overactive it may manifest as a disconnection from your body and feeling superior to everyone. If it’s underactive it may manifest as lacking purpose, loss of meaning or identity, or lacking direction.
AFFIRMATIONS to balance to the Crown chakra every time you touch your pendant:
“I am whole and complete.”
“Divine light flows through me.”
“I am connected to my higher Self.”
“I am infinite and boundless.”
“I am a wave and the ocean.”
Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is intended for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice, diagnosis or treatment by a licensed physician. You should seek prompt medical care for any health issues and consult your doctor before using alternative medicine or making a change to your regimen.